Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Trade Deadline!

Is it imperative that the Caps make a trade before tomorrow's deadline? As things stand right now the Caps are the class of the East. The burden of improving rosters falls on the teams who want to keep up with Washington. Having said that, I think complacency has the potential to be a recipe for disaster. If tomorrow passes and Washington makes no improvements but Pittsburgh and New Jersey make significant additions, well then the Caps may be in trouble.

I think Pittsburgh just answered my original question for me. According to TSN they picked up Alex Ponikarovsky from Toronto. Ponikarovsky is a big winger who has the potential to score goals when he is motivated. Sufficient to say the chance to go from one of the worst teams in the conference to the reigning league champs is a serious cause for motivation. I do not think this addition makes the Penguins as good as Washington but I still think this puts some pressure on George Mcphee.

The rumors surrounding the Caps are that they are shopping for a 2nd line center, rugged defenseman, or a goaltender. I agree that center is a position they may want to improve at. Thomas Fleischman has done a decent job since being converted to center but he is more valuable when he is playing wing. I have to think that if Mcphee is going after someone to fill this void it will be a seasoned vet with one year left on his contract. Saku Koivu is a name that comes to mind but I am not sure the Ducks would be willing to part with him and his cap hit is 3.25 mill.

I remember back to when Mcphee grabbed Fedorov at the deadline, up to that point in time its appeared that Fedorov's career was nearing its end. However playing for a young caps served as a shot in the former Hart Trophy winner's arm. While it may seem that I am grasping at straws, I think that with the addition of Mike Modano a similar situation could unfold. His cap hit would be 3.45 million but he could be a great addition to this team. He would provide needed veteran leadership and has the potential for significant offensive production. In order for this to happen the Caps would have to juggle some cap space and probably be willing to trade a pick or a prospect. There is probably no chance this deal comes to fruition but its nice to think about.

Chris Higgins was recently traded to Calgary from New York and may not be available but I think he would be a smart addition.

It has become no secret over the past few months that the Caps defense could use some upgrading. John Erskine has proved that he is a more than capable net clearing defenseman. It may be wise for the team to go out and get someone to help Erskine shoulder that load. Steve Staios is rumored to be a potential addition and he is right in the Caps price range. Aaron Ward is also available and his cap hit is only 2.5 million.

As far as goalies are concerned I really don't think there is any need for the Caps to make a play for one. Then again who cares what I think, George Mcphee is paid a healthy amount to make these types of decisions. Right now he is hard at work, while I am sitting here eating a bag of chips, getting crumbs on my keyboard, and writing my thoughts down on a blog that very few people read. In reality, my thoughts are not even worth the $.99 that it cost me to buy those chips from the 7-11 down the street. Having said that, Varlamov proved last year that he is capable of being a quality NHL goalie. Jose Theodore has proved this season he will make the big saves when they need to made. There is 0 reason for Mcphee to waste time and money on bringing another goalie here, unless of course he can magically work around the cap and get Ryan Miller.

The Caps were limited in what they could add last season because of their lack of cap space. This year they have the space, they also have enough depth in their organization where they can trade quality prospects with out mortgaging their future. Look for the Caps to make a move before tomorrow's deadline but don't be surprised if they stay quiet either. As I said earlier they are the front runners right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment