Friday, February 26, 2010

My Name is Joe...

And I've moved to America.
Remember this guy? The guy who grew to iconic status for embodying all things Canadian. Well one can hardly blame him for packing up his things and leaving Canada for the land of opportunity.



This is not meant to be propaganda against our neighbors from the north. I view them as hard working, honest, and good natured people. Canada as a country is one of our greatest allies on the world stage but when it comes to hockey I despise them. I hate Canadian Hockey like I hate the Taliban. There is nothing that I derive more pleasure from than watching America beat Canada in hockey. I remember less than two months ago hearing Don Cherry belittle the performance of the US Junior team at the WJC. His arrogance that day irked me to no end, at one point I could almost feel my head on the brink of explosion. In my state of unprecedented rage, I decided to take a step back and really think about what Cherry was saying. I likened him to a world leader speaking to his country at a time of great turmoil, doing everything in his power to instill confidence in his people. Despite losing to the US on home soil he wanted his followers to still feel as though they are the greatest hockey playing country in the world. Cherry's words may have soothed an entire nation after the World Junior's but do not think for one second they were not a nation in panic after last Sunday's stunning loss to the US.

It is no mystery that Canada wants nothing more from this Olympics than to win the Gold Medal in Mens Hockey. I also think there is little doubt as to which team the Canadians would like to beat in the Gold Medal Game. They couldn't care less about Finland, they want America, and they are out for blood. Don Cherry and his countrymen are desperate to exact revenge on the country that has embarrassed them twice in the past two months, both times on Canadian soil.

As Americans, we can say we already defeated the Canadians once these Olympic Games and reason we have nothing left to prove on our way to the Gold Medal. We can pull for the Slovaks in the hopes that their win would mean a much easier route to the gold. But I disagree. Yes, a gold medal is an incredible accomplishment for this team no matter who they defeat, but how much more satisfying would it be to beat the Canadians... again?

In recent days some people have attempted to make comparisons between this team and the "Miracle" team. The differences are too vast, these players are all professionals some of whom are NHL all stars. That team was entirely amateurs, playing against and defeating the best team in the world. While a gold in Vancouver for the US would be shocking, it would be no miracle.

On second thought, there is one similarity between the two teams. Neither could/can afford to do what this blogger has done and completely overlook the Fins.

My name is Peter... and I really want to beat the Canadians.

No comments:

Post a Comment