Monday, February 22, 2010

A Time for Reflection

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the greatest moment in the sports history. Though I was not alive when the game took place, I have still seen the footage countless times. I can think of no other event that preceded my lifetime that I so deeply desire to have witnessed. I concede that I will never fully understand the magnitude of what took place. I never lived in fear of Soviet attack, nor did I witness the effects of the Iranian hostage crisis, and I never endured a time when my country's dominance on the world stage was in question. I do, however, understand that at one of the lowest points in American history a hockey team momentarily lifted the morale of an entire nation.

In a "sliver of the Cold War" the mighty Soviets were upset by the US in Lake Placid, New York on February 22, 1980. Today, 30 years later we pay homage to the "miraculous" accomplishments of this team, by stunning the Soviets and winning the gold medal. It is also a good time to reflect on the late, Herb Brooks, and everything he did for American hockey.

Below is a video of the Captain of Team USA Mike Eruzione scoring the eventual game winning goal late in the 3rd period. As Eruzione so eloquently said, "three inches to the left and [he] would have been painting bridges."

No comments:

Post a Comment